Every time I remembered I needed to pick up my paycheck I was in the middle of something I could not leave. By the time I found a breather I would have forgotten. So at 4:59pm, when I was on the phone with the rat and he asked me if I had been paid I yelped and ran to the accounting office. It was closed and would not open again until Tuesday.
So I made the five-minute trek to the parking lot, got in the car, turned the key and nothing happened. Not even a click. Out in the middle of a blistering hot parking lot I have a dead car.
So I hoof it back to the building, get on the phone and luckily rat hasn't left yet. I tell him the symptoms and he thinks it's a dead battery. One of the bosses is still there and he says to call the campus police and I can a jump from them. Rat says he will meet me at Sears.
I call the police and the dispatcher (someone I know) says she will let them know but it may take a bit of time. So I slowly make it back to lot, first stopping at the john because I have needed to go for the last hour but did not make it because of all the running about. After waiting a half an hour in the lot (doors open, windows down so the little breeze will move through) I look for the emergency call box at the lot, walk over to it and call again. The dispatcher says help is less than 10 minutes away. So I walk back to the car.
About five minutes later the campus police car drives up. He gets out and the first thing he asks is "When did you first call this in?" I told him about 5:15-5:20pm. He frowned and said he had been sitting on the other side of the campus just waiting around. Then he went back into the office and was told about me. He said the call was written down as coming in at 5:45pm but it was only 5:40pm when he got the message. He said this was not the first time this had happened and he was going to have to report the person and these incidents.
Anyway, he told me my cables were loose (how did THAT happen!) and the battery barely had any juice. So it jumped with no problem, I thanked him and drove off to Sears. It had taken almost an hour to get a jump from the campus.
Sears is just a stones-throw away from the campus so I get there, see my ratling's car, parked next to him and went inside. He had already set up a battery for me. So we walk back out and he tells me I am supposed to drive into the garage and go into the back of the place to a battery bay. Of course, my car was dead again so rat talked about pushing the car. I just looked at him and said, "Why don't get out your cables and I can drive in?" He didn't think of that, so he gave me a jump and I drove in.
Once again, this battery was a Die-Hard and once again it died before it was supposed to, this time a year before it was supposed to go out. So I got another credit, albeit small, because I had the paperwork (always stick car paperwork in the glove compartment immediately after work is done) and upgraded the battery type to Silver. It came with an unadvertised extended warranty too.
Since other people were in line for a battery we were told it would be about an hour wait. Since "Mexican Food" was right around the corner we went and had a nice dinner, then came back. Car was ready and off we went to go home.
When we get home we find a call waiting for us so we go over to the folks' house to pick up rat's package with DOS 5. Got into a discussion with my mother's husband about teaching. I was able to get him a job teaching at the same college. Now if I can just get something for Jacque', who really needs one!
By the time I got home I was too pooped to care about much at all. We went to bed at 11pm and died.
And now, Today
Finally officially crawled out of bed at 3:20pm. Had been up a little bit to get breakfast and such. My sinus meds have stopped working so I using the alternative meds, which make me sleepy. And mother nature will be hitting this weekend, which means a double-whammy when it comes to being sleepy.
Talon will be happy to know I worked on Gohan/Sage while lying about. I almost screwed it up royally when I was making darker lines, however. Sage's contented grin got fucked so I erased it and I think it is close enough to what it was originally, although it took a lot of time to get it back to what it should be. I have removed A LOT of the shadows as prep for cg colouring. The main charas DO look different when it comes to lines and shading so hold on to those image files because that picture does not exist any more.
LOTS more pillows all around, supporting Gohan's back and balancing the space and I extended the mattress to cover the entire canvas. Figured since the angle will not let me show how thick it is I might as well make it larger. Besides, wouldn't CC have a double King-sized mattress made just for this kind of event? The window is currently gone and I am going to add it back using consistent curves as soon as I find something to use to draw the curves. (You would think I would have one of the curved rulers about, but no, I don't.) A cart inside the room along with a water dispenser is in place. Another cart is outside the door behind the figures. Vejiita has a very long tail, the tip of which is fluffed out. Rats, still forgot the ki restraints, but I am still working on it.
Now I need to sign off and get some classwork done. When I can reward myself with a break from it all I will finish the beta and get the next section of "First Heat" out. Oh, btw, I was telling the rat parts of the story while in Sears (now THAT was interesting conversation, discussing the concepts of 'heat', 'rut' and 'seme/uke' while standing around in the automotive dept!) and he raised an interesting question, what's Videl's take on all this, her feelings, her deeper reactions, her emotions? A lot of excellent work is apparent showing the male Saiya-jin side but I have to admit I would like to see the human female side, with the terrible struggles as well. Admittedly, both Videl and Bulma can intellectually understand what's going on but when emotions are involved it opens another can of worms. Rat says he would be more entertained if the emotional reactions came first and the intellectual 'turn around' came later. I think it is already in place for this story. Perhaps a story section from Videl's point of view right after seeing Gohan in the gravity room?
Thanks: --> to Lia, my sensei, who has inspired me to draw again. I
wouldn't be doing this without your support, Domo Arigato!
--> to Talon, for sending me her fabulous fics, inspiring me with her writing to draw my first
illustration for a story and actually liking what I drew.
--> to Dasia, for her words of encouragement when drawing her original chara.
--> to Joules, a wonderful epic fic writer, for liking my art enough to want to post them with Talon's
and her own stories.
--> to Lutra, the other half of the epic team, for being so supportive.
--> to Jacque' & Becca Raddittzu, we met on eBay as bidder and sellers and now we are face-to-face
friends. You showed us the real DBZ with your fansubs. It's all your fault the house is full of
doujinshi! *LOL*